The Nebraska Center for the Education of Children Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired offers a variety of support program for students and families throughout the year:
- Skill Training
- Enrichment Activities
- Family Activities
- Outdoor Education
- Parent Training
- Orientation and Mobility
- Arts and Crafts
- Independent Living Music
- Family Networking
- Vocational Training
- Assistive Technology
- Recreation and Leisure
- Social Skills
- Transitional Living
NCECBVI Student and Family Events Information
- Parent Workshops at NCECBVI - November 4, 2018; January 27, 2019; and April 7, 2019
- Braille Challenge - February 12, 2019
November 4, 2018; January 27, 2019; and April 7, 2019 at NCECBVI
Students are welcome to come and participate in a social activity while parents attend the workshop(s). There is no cost to attend. Please click here to view the flyer with information about upcoming Parent Workshops at NCECBVI.
February 12, 2019 at NCECBVI
The 2019 Nebraska Regional Braille Challenge will be held February 12, 2019, at NCECBVI. Registration materials are due by December 12, 2018. Materials need to be ordered prior to winter break in order to get them here in time for our contest. Braille Challenge is a national competition sponsored by the Braille Institute of America and contest materials are shipped from their offices in California. Please note: All contests are in UEB only.
- Registration Form - Print this document and complete information in all sections. Demographic data, as well as housing and meal information is needed in advance for students, families, and teachers/educational staff who will be attending. A signature is needed from a parent/guardian and also from a school district representative.
- Braille Challenge Permission Form - Print this document and complete all information. This form is required by the National Programs of the Braille Institute and must be completed in its entirety. A parent/guardian signature and printed name are required. Teachers of the Visually Impaired: Please complete the information found in the shaded box on the page including your name, email, and phone number. You can put my name as the Regional Coordinator. Also, please complete the Student's Contest Level and indicate whether or not the student is at Grade Level.
- Braille Challenge Parent Workshop Flyer and Permission Form - An all-day workshop is planned for parents which will occur at the same time students participate in the Braille Challenge. The presenters will be Sara Reuss and Meagan Gerdes, Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialists at NCECBVI. They will be presenting "Orientation and Mobility 101 for Parents." There is no cost for the Parent Workshop and lunch is provided. Please complete this form so we know how many parents to expect for the workshop and for lunch.
- Braille Challenge T-shirt order form - Any school staff member or parent is welcome to order a BC t-shirt of their own and wear to NCECBVI on Challenge Day. All shirts will be multi-colored tie dye, with an outline of the state of Nebraska and the Braille Challenge logo in the middle; shirts are available in short-sleeve or long sleeve. T-shirts are provided to all student contestants at no cost (do not use this form for students; their t-shirt information is found on the registration form).
The Braille Institute of America turns 100 years old in 2019 so you will see a "Happy Birthday" theme throughout Braille Challenge day this year!
Completed paperwork should be mailed to: Nebraska Center for the Education of Children who are Blind or Visually Impaired (NCECBVI), Attn: Carmen Bahr, 824 10th Avenue; P.O. Box 129, Nebraska City, NE, 68410. All registration materials are due by December 12, 2018.